
Most of the birds around here are pretty ordinary, with the exception of the pure white egrets that come during the winter and...the most fascinating bird I've ever seen, the hoopie bird. I've been trying to take a picture of one for nearly three years now. The only time I had seen them are when I don't have my camera. Then last month I saw one in front of our house. Miraculously I was able to snap some pictures before one of us, Peaches or I, frightened it away.
The top of it's head looks fairly flat in the picture. At times it spreads whatever that thing is on top of it's head, much like a peacock spreads its tail. Then it's like a mohawk, an orange and black striped mohawk.
It's just the most interesting little bird I've ever seen. It's proper name is Hoopoe, but folks around here call it Hoopie. There doesn't seem to be many that live on our compound, so a sighting is like a lucky penny to me. I wonder if the Saudis know that it's the national bird of Israel?
No comments:
Post a Comment