Most of you know already that I am *not* a animal lover (I try not to make unpopular announcements like this regularly). Don't get me wrong...I like animals, some more than others. However I recognize the responsibility that comes with being a pet owner and haven't wanted to step up to the plate for any more responsibility than I already have. Let's just say that raising my two monkeys has been enough work for me!
Jake unwittingly provided me with the perfect excuse not to get a pet: he's allergic to animal dander. However, as soon as Michael went to preschool and learned about mammals, he was quick to point out that Jacob would be fine if we got a reptile or a fish.
I firmly put my foot down with having reptiles in the house but we did get some angel fish. The novelty of a fish wore off lightning fast with the boys, as fish are not the most interactive pet. As time went by they showed no disappointment when the last fish departed from this world and wasn't replaced.
Now and then, Michael would bring the subject of having a pet up again. "How about a pot-bellied pig? Um, no...they can grow to be 150lb. " "How about an outside dog? We have no fence and the dog would always want to come in the house." "How about an ant farm? No! If even one ant, even ONE, ever got out..." I got pretty good at coming up excuses to deny my son a pet. It was really bad when he cried at bedtime on more than one occasion because we could never have a dog. (I can hear you guys right now feeling sorry for him. Yes, I am ashamed.)
This year as Christmas approached I asked Michael what he wanted Santa to bring him. He couldn't think of anything specific. He always loves getting books, but he couldn't think of anything else (aside from video games) that he really wanted. As I sat and tried to imagine what we could give him that would make his eyes light up and bring him immeasurable joy, the only thing that came to mind was, gasp, a hamster!
I banished the thought over and over, but seriously couldn't think of anything he would love to have more. Yes, Jake is technically allergic to hamsters, but 1) it would be contained to a cage nearly all the time, and 2) Jake is not likely to even hold it. So, since I love Michael more than I hate rodents, we bought a hamster cage.
I can't describe the astonishment, delight and shear joy on his face Christmas morning when he unwrapped the empty cage. We went back to the pet store the next day and he picked out the most hyperactive hamster there - how many of you are surprised at that? And so now, I introduce to you: Uncle Fuzzy!
He's rather cute, don't you think? Michael and I divided up the responsibility: I clean the cage weekly, and Michael feeds/waters him daily. He's has been taking his responsibility very seriously and even cuts the vegetables up himself. I can't say that I was happy about the smell, but once Uncle Fuzzy got over the stress of his "relocation" and stopped living in his tube, he started peeing in the shavings (which absorbs the odor much, much better than the plastic tubes).
So today I am taking Uncle Fuzzy to the vet (I am actually astonished that vets see hamsters). He has been scratching himself nearly non-stop, like a dog with fleas. He is not sleeping well (probably because he is so itchy) and has worn some of the hair off his bottom. I may not be an animal lover, but I cannot sit and watch any living creature suffer. We thought maybe he was allergic to the shavings and changed brands, but it didn't make any difference. I'm guessing he has mites.
I am paying four times what I paid for the hamster to get rid of the mites. But since Michael's smile on Christmas morning was priceless, I figure I'm still coming out ahead.
Update: Uncle Fuzzy and I just got back from the vet. It's probably not mites, which would have been easiest to treat. The vet thinks it some kind of contact dermatitis, i.e. his shavings or cage irritate his skin. He gave him a steriod shot to help with the itching, recommended sticking with the new shavings and only cleaning the cage once every other week. Oh, and the consultation ended up costing $53 with another follow-up visit in two weeks. Sigh.
No comments:
Post a Comment