Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's Raining, It's Pouring...

Well, maybe not pouring. But it IS raining and that's something we get excited about now. All I have to do is casually mention that I think it may be raining, and the boys' faces light up as they race for the door. Ultimately I end up joining them, looking forward to the splash of raindrops on my cheeks.

As we stand on the sidewalk, we take turns pointing out the evidence of rain: random spots on the cement, a sort of a puddle here or there, long, dirty streaks on the car windshield, and a freshness in the air. Has it stopped raining? No, someone just got a drop on their hand. We do our best to wait patiently. Eventually the drops are too far apart, and losing interest we disappointedly file back into the house.

Have we completely lost our minds? Probably. But it has rained very little since we've been here - that's how deserts work! What I didn't expect was how much I would miss the rain. Keep in mind that I'm a Washington State girl, born and raised 50 miles northwest of Seattle. The Pacific Northwest will always be home to me. And sunshine day after day, after day, after day...well, I guess that gets on my nerves more than I expected. Although I have to say it's really been nice to be able to plan outings or outdoor events without a thought as to whether rain will spoil our fun.

Enough typing...I'm off to enjoy the drops!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! After being away from Seattle for 1 1/2 years and living somewhere where rain is seldom, I actually enjoy it too!!

Deanna said...

I am sending the rain your way! Send me a little heat, OK?