Have I ever told you how warm the tap water is here? The only true options for water temperature in the washing machine are quite warm, and hot. It's not surprising considering how hot it is outside. What is surprising though, is how it affects the toilet.
From the day they learned what a toilet was, I have been relentless in training the boys to put the seat and lid down on the toilet. With Michael, putting the lid down was so that Jake didn't play in the toilet water. With Jake, well, I guess by then I just had already made it the standard and it was easier to stay the course. They do a great job and I rarely need to say anything to them about it. So naturally, they continued to put the seat and lid down after moving to Saudi Arabia.
Being boys, they are also in the habit of taking care of business just as fast as they can. I have also tried to train them, not as successfully though, to wipe up "drips" that happen when they wait too long and quickly fling the seat and lid up. Any woman will tell you, it's absolutely disgusting to sit on a wet toilet seat. (Guys, I'm sure you would agree - it's just that you probably don't run into it as often as we do.)
Immediately after arriving here, I started finding wet toilet seats on a regular basis. My reaction started out as gentle reminders, and after mere days turned into roaring! I cannot find words to describe how loudly I was yelling at one point (the abundance of tile and lack of rugs on our main floor really turn this place into an echo chamber too!). I couldn't figure out what the deal was: Jet lag? New surroundings? Did going from 70 degrees to 118 overnight erase a portion of their memory?
I continued to flame the male members of our family for a couple weeks. Yes, I had moved onto yelling at Steve too. Why not...the boys naturally protested that it wasn't them and it had to be someone. It really wasn't pretty, and I'm positive they conspired to hide the bottles of water from me so that I'd drink less, therefore pee and scream less.
I don't even know when I figured it out, but I did feel very bad when it hit me: Putting the lid down causes the water to condensate onto the seat.
I've clearly stopped yelling at the three of them for peeing on the seat. Now, I've moved onto yelling at them for putting the seat down.
2 comments:
That's really strange cause it does not happen to our toilets in the UAE... maybe KSA has a higher humidity?
Oh I definitely believe this happens. In fact, 'my friend' has been using this exact excuse for YEARS in Rockville, MD. Perhaps I, er, HE keeps his house too cold and the warm water.....or no. :(
Post a Comment