
I have been wanting a salad spinner for ages. Dawn has one, and I always thought it was so cool to spin it, and amazing how much water comes out (I'm apparently easily entertained). But, for reasons unknown to even me, I have never bought one and have just continued to buy the already washed, bagged lettuce.
When we first arrived here, I was astounded to see a salad spinner in the commissary. They do have a very wide variety of things, just not many different brands or styles of all those things (did that make sense?). It was around $20 and after convincing Steve (actually myself - he couldn't have cared less if I bought it) that I really "needed" it, I was the proud new owner of a salad spinner. I also bought a head of romaine lettuce and promptly "gave it a whirl" when we got home. It works wonderfully, and I now have a ziplock bag of clean, bite-sized romaine lettuce in my ugly produce drawer.
I really believe that a significant aspect of a successful overseas assignment is flexibility. That ability, or the lack thereof, makes it or breaks it for you. You just aren't going to be able to do some things the same way you did before. You may not have the same tools. You may run into obstacles, different processes, or even impossibilities. You really have to be patient, creative, and have a good sense of humor...or you will go completely batty!
My salad spinner has become the symbol of that adaptability. We have had limited kitchen gadgets so far: a few pots/pans, cutting board, silverware, dishes, etc. The spinner, comes with three components: the large, clear bowl that holds the water that is spun out, the basket that holds the lettuce which fits inside the bowl, and the lid which has the spinning mechanism. We have used the bowl numerous times as a salad bowl, trifle dish, serving bowl, and a mixing bowl. The basket has been used as a colander and makeshift bowl while the clear bowl was being washed. I haven't figured out a use yet for the spinning mechanism (all my creative, problem solving friends out there - and you know who you are - be sure to leave your ideas in the comments).
And by the way, not only has the spinner justified its place in my cupboards with it's versatility, but it's saved me piles of money that I would have spent on temporary colanders, mixing bowls, etc. More importantly, it's a proud reminder to me of being able to look challenges and adversity (albeit minor kitchen-related adversity) in the face and say, "bring it on!"
Salad, anyone?
No comments:
Post a Comment