Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Michael Jackson is our Neighbor?

Oh my gosh! I just read on CNN.com that Michael Jackson lives in Bahrain - MY Bahrain! Here is the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/11/17/jackson.court.ap/index.html

I remember when he was acquitted of molestation charges in 2003, and remember hearing that he "fled" the US and moved to the middle east. I probably read then that it was Bahrain, but it didn't mean anything to me and I forgot exactly where he was. But now it obviously hits home.

We go to Bahrain at least once a month, sometimes twice. From our house, depending on the backup at the border, it can as little as 45 min. to get there.

I know that you could easily look Bahrain up on Wikipedia to learn more about it, but you probably won't. So I'll summarize for you...Bahrain is a very small island nation: it's only 253 square miles. It's 80% Muslim, 10% Christian, and 10% other religions. It has a King, a prime minister and declared independence from Britain in 1971. It's connected to Saudi Arabia only by a causeway - crossing the causeway can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours (unfortunately we've done both). You must go through immigration, customs and various other booths for both the Saudi & Bahrain sides - much like driving across the border into Canada -- but definitely more chaotic and stressful, and infinitely less efficient.

We enjoy going to Bahrain to shop and escape, so to speak, from Saudi Arabia. Wikipedia describes Bahrain, "...as the "Middle East lite" because it combines modern infrastructure with a Gulf identity and, unlike other countries in the region, its prosperity is not solely a reflection of the size of its oil wealth but is also related to the creation of an indigenous middle class."

In addition to the better shopping and entertainment (current, uncensored movies), we also enjoy ordering adult beverages with our meals. We can imbibe on the island, but would be expelled from Saudi if we were caught bringing any of those beverages across the border. I also am allowed to drive in Bahrain, but I decline the privilege. It's almost as crazy on the roads as it is here and there is no way I want that stress.

I hate cliches, but can't resist one right now...what a small world! I doubt that we will ever run into Mr. Jackson, but it still creeps me out nonetheless.

No comments: