Saturday, November 22, 2008

Our First Cub Scout Campout

They finally did it! Steve and boys somehow managed to get me camping. I haven't gone camping since I was a child, and the longer time goes on - the less I liked the idea. Even given quality equipment, it just sounds like an enormous amount of work, organization and details. I'm fine with the organization and details - just not all the work!

All that being said, I knew that the boys would absolutely love it and family camping would make some wonderful memories in their childhood. I decided that it's something I can give them as a gift. And hopefully I'll grow to enjoy it too. Hopefully.

Our first opportunity came last weekend with the Cub Scout Fall Family Camp Out. It was held at Half Moon Bay - the beach where the sailboat racing took place. To be completely honest with you, I disliked nearly every single minute of it (I wanted to say "hated" but that's a very strong word). One hundred and twenty boys running amok, lots of sand everywhere, a very long walk to the bathrooms, cheap air mattresses that didn't work well, a cheap tent that was wet inside in the morning (I was sleeping next to the tent wall)- I could continue but I'm sure you don't want to read the griping.

So, on the positive side, the weather was perfect and the sunrise was out of this world. The boys had a FANTASTIC time. Steve made a lovely breakfast - we had beef bacon, hashbrowns, coffee and eggs. Isn't he amazing? Here's a picture of the sun rising low in the sky, and if you look carefully on the lower left you can see Steve bending over while cooking.


The camp out was very well organized and I was appreciative of the work that went into it. There were activities planned all day with awards ceremonies, campfires, and skits into the evening. Thankfully lights out was enforced at 10pm so we had a reasonable (?) night sleep when 120 boys woke simultaneously at 5am with the sunrise. No, I'm not kidding.

And I actually learned some things. I learned to call dibs on the middle of the tent, so that I won't wake up with a wet pillow. I learned that even though you think the boys can just sleep in their clothes for one night, it's a bad, bad idea: they will be FILTHY (and possibly wet) and you won't want them to get into the sleeping bag that way. I learned that after future beach campouts, it's a good idea to hose them off before putting them in the tub at home, lest the tub clog up from all the sand. I learned to bring a mug for my coffee. And most of all, I learned that sometimes doing things you detest (oops, there's another strong word) can still bring you pleasure when you watch those you love having a great time.

I promised my family to give camping a second chance - the next time being with just maybe us and another family or two. It can only get better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a brave and nice mom you are!