Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Heat is On and Recko Doesn't Like It

It's sizzling here! Summer has been taunting us the last few weeks, with temperatures tiptoeing up over 100 degrees, but never more than 105. However today was a brutal reminder of exactly where we are living. The temperature reached 110 by noon - I don't know what the afternoon high ended up being BUT the forecast for the next two days has highs of 115 and 118! Now that's smokin' hot...and it's only May!

It must be Mother Nature's retribution for my recent comments like, "wow, we must be getting used to the weather over here because it just doesn't seem that hot." Or, "I was expecting worse by now - this won't be bad at all." Why must I always open my yap?

Thankfully the pools are cooled and the school playgrounds are covered. I noticed today that the bike racks are covered as well. How thoughtful of the school board to pay for something like that, because I'm sure the metal on the bikes and scooters would be blistering hot at 3pm if they sat in the sun. Even just getting into the car this afternoon after leaving it from 1-3pm at the school made the metal buckles on the seat belts untouchable. Believe me, we've learned to not leave chap stick, gum, chocolate or crayons anywhere in the car!

It's apparently getting too hot outside for Recko the Gecko also, as he has basically moved into the house now (geckos don't eat hamsters, do they?). Every now and then he scares the LIVING DAYLIGHTS out of me by scurrying up the wall in front of me. One horrible night he darted up the wall from behind my nightstand. Yes, nightstand...as in right beside my bed! Worse than being startled as I was drifting off to sleep was the knowledge that he was in my bedroom and I couldn't get him out. I have no idea how the boys slept through the shrieking! I am told that he eats mosquitoes and other bugs so at least he's earning his keep.

One thing that has been very, very nice about living here is the dependability of the weather. You know, with a fairly high degree of accuracy, that when you wake up it's going to be sunny. It will get hot and there won't be any rain. It's pretty much guaranteed. The only real worry is the possibility of a shmal, which have been occurring once or twice a month. You definitely don't want to be outside during that. Otherwise, you can plan a pool party or any other outdoor event without any thought to adverse weather.

Or course it's becoming so hot now that no one is planning much outside except poolside or at night. We went to a party last weekend where we spent the entire time in the backyard and the evening temperatures were in the upper 80's/low 90's. It was quite comfortable and really fun. Even now as I'm typing this at 10pm, the outside temperature is 93.

No matter what kind of spin I try to put on it though, hot is hot. We're looking forward to coming back to the states in July/Aug. to more reasonable summer temperatures. If we are coming to see you, be forewarned...you might want to inspect our suitcases at the door. Recko can be pretty sneaky - you never know where he is going to appear next.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Recko better not think about coming to my house or he'll meet Cracker the cat! (Not that she'd know what to do with him!)

Patti Warren said...

I'm reading your blog today thinking - on my!! And we think it has gotten hot all of the sudden here ... I'll be sure to remind the girls, when I hear how hot it is outside, what it could be. Good luck with that! We miss you all lots. You know you are always more then welcome here - Recko included - but we do have a "Pancake" now (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) and I'm not sure what he would think about that.