65 kph is 40mph.
And if that's not enough to figure out, now I have new one...Spring is Fall!
All the trees around here are dropping their leaves. Seriously - it looks like fall. While I am enjoying the novelty of something new on the compound to contemplate, I am cursing the very large tree with the very large leaves in our front lawn. Check out the monsters it drops (and my nice pedicure while you're at it):
Here is the view down our street in a picture taken last fall:
...and here is the same view today. Pay particular attention to the trees to the left of the stop sign:
We had green leaves all winter. This phenomenon just started happening a week or two ago, and has intensified this week. I always thought that any kind of leafy tree in the Northern Hemisphere lost its leaves in the fall because the days get shorter, causing lower levels of the chlorophyll in the leaves. Then they "die" and fall off as the tree begins its dormancy. That's what I told Jacob, anyway.
I've been told by the old-timers that as the spring heats up here, the leaves die and drop. After just a short few weeks, the trees start growing new ones and then we're good for the next year. Huh.
It's only a matter of time before he asks about this and I will need to have a good answer for him. I don't fancy spending hours on Wikipedia trying to figure it out, but otherwise...I don't know what I'll tell him.
No comments:
Post a Comment