Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Keep your fingers crossed

Our household goods shipment arrived, as scheduled, on Monday!! With all the broken promises (lies) and trouble we've had with the Honda, I was totally shocked. It was around the beginning of July that they predicted the arrival date of 8/18. Very impressive (too bad we didn't use the same company for the vehicle!).

Now, before you get too excited for me, let me define "arrived." It simply means that our container came into port and has been taken to the official customs inspection site. That's where they rifle through EVERYTHING looking for contraband (idols, religious symbols, drugs/alcohol, pornography, weapons, etc.). After they are satisfied that we're clean, they'll deliver the stuff to us. I believe all our books, music and DVDs are held back for a closer look.

Steven has been told that our stuff will deliver in 10-15 days. That timeline is really crucial because Ramadan starts on Sept. 1. Why does that matter?

Muslims are not allowed to eat/drink anything from sunrise to sunset during Ramadan, even at work. I know, you are thinking, "what in the world does that have to do with Steven & Lani's stuff?" Great question. In Saudi Arabia during Ramadan, Muslims turn their schedules upside down. They don't eat/drink at all during the day. Then after sundown they stay up all night, eating/drinking of course. The next day they are very sluggish from not sleeping. As you might imagine, it just compounds as the month goes on. They don't officially sleep at work, but they are so inefficient that they may as well sleep. I guess it's one way to get through 30 days of fasting!

So, when you are waiting for customs or whoever to go through your stuff, you don't want them to be sleeping all day. We've heard that if we don't get it delivered before Ramadan, it won't likely be before until the 1st or 2nd week of October. So, we'll have it either in the next 2 weeks or the next 7 weeks.

They have already started processing it, so we are keeping our fingers crossed. And Michael says he's crossing his toes too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lani,

Sam and I are enjoying your blog. Just a quick note for now as it is the beginning of the school year and I am pressed for time.

I really hope that you get your stuff before Ramadan--because your description was on target.

Let me just add that in our first year here things got much better after Ramadan. The first year here it felt like a hurdle, but now we face it with a more detached attitude.

Still, the sooner your possessions arrive the better.

Anyway we are enjoying the blog and are really glad that you are in the region.

Sincerely,

Stephen and Samantha (and now Darwin)

Lani said...

Stephen,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, I'm a little dismayed that Ramadan is coming so soon after arriving here. Not to be negative, but I figure I'll have a routine and be pretty well on the way to settling in right about when it starts. Then the schedule will completely change for a month, such as grocery stores off compound not opening up until after sunset. Once I figure out how to deal with that, it will go back to whatever "normal" was to start with. Arrrg! Good thing I like to be challenged!

Lani

Stepford_Lives said...

Hey Lani

Don't worry too much, you will probably get your stuff before Ramadan (Inshallah), after all we got our stuff on the 1st day of Ramadan (Mashallah).. which I remember very clearly cos 2/3 of all boxes that were moved contained books much to the chagrin of the workers... and they carried everything on their shoulders up to our 2nd floor apartment in 45 deg (Centigrade) heat!

Steve n I are counting down to after Ramadan (Eid) and we noticed that the groceries in the store (especially the meat section has been disappearing fast... so like you we are also crossing our fingers as well as the dates on our calendar!