Friday, August 22, 2008

Mickey Mouse Puzzle

For those who are in Michigan (and Mom who was with us in May), we are still working on that @$%&* Mickey Mouse puzzle! It's one of those where millions (?) of scenes make up a larger image. Michael started the puzzle before Steve left in March, and he literally cried at the suggestion that we would have to take it apart to move.


I didn't have the heart to do it. No, we rolled it up as it was - partially completed - in June right before the packers came. I found one of those nifty puzzle roll-up thingys (I'm sure that its inventor has a clever name for it, but it escapes me at the moment). At any rate, it fit into the air shipment and was already here waiting when the kids and I arrived. We only have one table right now, which we eat at... so we improvised:

We are still optimistic that our household goods shipment will be delivered in the next week and a half. There is absolutely no way we can have this "puzzle table" set up in the kitchen, or anywhere else in the house for that matter. We will be up to our ears with our furniture, the rented furniture that has to be picked up, boxes, packing paper, etc. Upon that realization, Steve and I announced that the puzzle will either have to be finished by delivery, taken down, or rolled up again to be worked on after everything is unpacked and put away. Michael really pressed to finish it - a decision I'm good with, because frankly I'm sick of the darn thing!

We've been working day and night - Aunt Holly, where are you when we need you???

Though we all have been frustrated and our perserverance stretched to it's limits, it's been an incredible team/family building experience for us. We all cheer (and I mean CHEER) when someone finds a piece. We enjoy spending time together working on it, even though we don't talk much - except to complain a bit about the challenge. We are brainstorming about the celebration we will have when it is done. And we unanimously decided that Michael should put in the last piece, as our team captain.


Maybe Mr. Mouse should get involved in the negotiations for world peace.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi Lani -

We are loving reading your blog and hearing about stuff. The puzzle looks great, we're cheering you on. On another note, I am curious - is there recycling over there and what about organic/natural foods in the stores? How would a vegetarian fare?

We are getting ready for school on Tuesday, do the boys start soon?
Life should get back to normal a bit then.

We're also rooting for your stuff to be delivered soon, and your car gets a "get out of jail free" card too!

Love, Carol