Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I got sand in my eye while sitting on the sofa

Nope - I haven't had too much sun lately (well, actually I have but I don't think it's affected my mind yet). I really did get sand in my eye while I was just sitting, OK laying, on the sofa watching t.v. last night. I almost titled this blog posting, "Sand, Sand, Sand." It's everywhere I don't want it to be.

I know I am living in a desert. I knew there would be sand at the beach here. I knew there would be sand in the rural areas. I guess I imagined that the sand stayed outside the compound walls, if I even really thought about it at all. In reality though, the sand is everywhere. It just appears as a fine dusting on the cement on the patios, driveways, walkways, etc. There isn't any dirt here that I've seen. It's just...take a guess...yep, sand. The "top soil" that is brought in when planting new grass is "sweet sand," sand that had nutrients added I assume.

The sand gets in the car. It usually looks like I did a poor job of vacuuming after going to the beach. The sand gets in the garage if I leave it open too long. It gets into the house, presumably from the kids' shoes (leaving your shoes by the door only works when you are NOT urgently bursting through the door en route to the bathroom - a daily event in the life of one of my beloved sons!). I don't know how to explain the sand on the window sills and baseboards. And finally, the most amazing feat of all - the sand gets on the sofa. Usually not in quantities that would find it's way into your eye though.


The boys love to go to the park that is one door down from our house. It's actually a nice little park, except for the fact that the entire thing has sand instead of mulch. I believe the day it got into my eye Jacob had been at the park, sweating and rolling (yes, it's very possible) in the sand. I obviously didn't catch him before he made his way to the family room. Sigh.

Our floors are fully vacuumed and mopped twice per week. At first, I though that was excessive - surely once a week would be adequate. It's not. Well, it might be if we were living here by ourselves without any children. Instead, twice a week isn't nearly enough. I try to keep up in between without obsessing too much about it. But seriously, who wants to lay in grit after a long day?

No comments: