As we were making plans for the summer, I began to see some issues with the last two weeks that the boys and I would be spending in the states. Imagine: After four weeks straight of travel, summer drawing to an end, everyone sure to be tired of living out of suitcases, Steve already back in Saudi...I would be faced with trying to entertain the boys for the last two weeks of vacation on my own in Western Washington.
While talking to Steve's sister Holly about my dilemma I mentioned that going to Disneyland would be the perfect solution, but it would be far too difficult for me to take the boys there without Steve: Michael loves fast, wild rides...Jacob likes to take things easy. Neither of them are old enough to be left alone in Disneyland.
Imagine my surprise and delight when Holly enthusiastically responded, "We'll go with you!" There was no way I could pass up an offer like that...we booked four nights in Anaheim for the week before we had to return to Saudi. This was to be the first time the boys have been to Disney, and though I was sad that Steve wouldn't be able to be part of it - it was such a relief to have something to break up a couple difficult weeks.
As worried as I was that the boys would be too old to enjoy seeing the characters -- it totally was not the case. What do they say...you're never too old to enjoy Disneyland? That must explain all the couples I saw on their honeymoon there (judging from the bride and groom mouse ears).
Here are a few of my favorite pictures:
At the Medieval Times dinner, waiting for the food and the show. The boys LOVED this neat experience.
Jacob at the Jedi Training Academy, battling with Darth Maul. (Can I just say how TOTALLY cool this was for Jake! Talk about unforgettable...)
The classic picture, no explanation needed.


NO RIDE was too fast for Michael and Uncle Kelly!

Making good use of the hotel bed and their Medieval hatchets

Jacob and Aunt Holly having fun!
NO RIDE was too fast for Michael and Uncle Kelly!
Making good use of the hotel bed and their Medieval hatchets
The boys HATED this ride...too slow, singing dolls, an annoying song over and over and over again. All it takes to make them crazy now is to start humming, "It's a Small World."

We were on a mission to find Donald, the boys' favorite character. It took four days, but we finally tracked him down.
Going with Holly and Kelly was perfect: Kelly was more than willing to go on the super fast, wild rides with Michael...over and over again. When Jake needed some time to slow down and get away from his type A mom, Holly stepped right in and happily took him off for a couple hours to explore at his own pace. We ALL had a fabulous time and I owe so much to them for "helping" me out. Thank you!
We were on a mission to find Donald, the boys' favorite character. It took four days, but we finally tracked him down.
One thing I have to say about Disneyland...I was surprised and TOTALLY impressed with how well run the park is. I never saw trash on the ground anywhere. The bathrooms were always clean and had toilet paper, didn't stink, and amazingly there were no lines. The friendly workers were smiling and helpful, and appeared to genuinely enjoy working there.
Going with Holly and Kelly was perfect: Kelly was more than willing to go on the super fast, wild rides with Michael...over and over again. When Jake needed some time to slow down and get away from his type A mom, Holly stepped right in and happily took him off for a couple hours to explore at his own pace. We ALL had a fabulous time and I owe so much to them for "helping" me out. Thank you!
I was especially proud of my boys' behavior: there were no melt downs, no "I want ___," no arguing...just a couple of great kids enjoying something they'd always dreamed of doing. As a mom, it just doesn't get much better than that!
1 comment:
Loved sharing in the adventure of Disneyland with you guys. Thanks for posting photos, the boys looked so entertained. I remember the "it's a small world" ride from my trip there sooooo many years ago.....definitely a classic! (hahaha) -- Deanna
Post a Comment